[Starlink] Starlink Digest, Vol 12, Issue 6

Ulrich Speidel u.speidel at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Mar 5 20:50:08 EST 2022

On 6/03/2022 4:25 am, Larry Press wrote:
> > But that's exactly the situation that would make it a party to the conflict and its user a
> target.
>
> How many terminals do you think they have and who -- which class of
> person -- do you think has them?
Starlink: With the given ground station arrangement, my best guess would
be a few hundred. Who has them: The Ukrainian government, FAIK, exclusively.

Non-Starlink: Given that the mobile networks and fixed Internet are
still operational in most places, including some overrun by the
Russians, I'd say probably a couple of dozen million? Any mobile phone
with data connectivity can in principle be shared among multiple users
as a WiFi hotspot, as can any domestic DSL or fibre connection. I would
expect there to be significant moves in these networks towards backhaul
diversification on the provider side as well as towards mesh-ification
on the user side.

Dishy-sized satellite TV antennas are common household items in Ukraine
(just have a look at Google Street View), and they have a population
that is by and large well educated and technically nimble and literate.
So I'd expect Wi-Fi mesh networks using satellite dishes for range
extension to become common, too.

But they don't get the PR miles out of this that Starlink do. Only Saint
Elon does ;-)

BTW: There has been a serious cyber attack on ViaSat's central and
eastern European KA-SAT services, likely to be connected to the war in
Ukraine. Collateral damage? The remote monitoring and maintenance
facilities on around 3,000 German wind turbines. Google translation of
the article in Der Spiegel is here:

https://www-spiegel-de.translate.goog/netzwelt/web/viasat-satellitennetzwerk-offenbar-gezielt-in-osteuropa-gehackt-a-afd98117-5c32-4946-ab8a-619f1e7af024?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

The case was flagged by Andreas Knopp from Bundeswehr University in
Munich, a well-known researcher in the satcom sector (I've met him so I
know he exists ;-)):

https://idw--online-de.translate.goog/de/news789489?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Dr. Ulrich Speidel

School of Computer Science