[Starlink] Hitting an atira asteroid with a spacex starship?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 13:52:40 EDT 2022

Song of the day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RbXIMZmVv8

>What you get is smaller objects heading in different directions at different velocities, none of which are all that predictable, and in total more danger to objects in space than before and still significant danger to ground objects.

Space is a big place, and I'm pretty sure the orbit, impact, and
debris could be tracked.

What would you do with a starship that after launch, due to lost
tiles, or other problems is certain to burn up on re-entry? Why not
test getting out of orbit?

>What you want is to turn it harmless. This is done by gently attaching to it and then giving it a controlled push.

That takes all the fun out of it. Impact is so much easier. Our
knowledge of the solar system is only skin deep.

> I've been curious about what one could do over time just using the pressure of light from the ground, or enough light to gassify material to add delta V, however high power devices for this would also be effective weapons.

And kinetic weapons aren't?