[Starlink] Starlink no longer available to the Ukrainian army?

Mike Puchol mike at starlink.sx
Fri Oct 14 08:51:39 EDT 2022

I would detach the outages from anything related to payments or claims by Elon. I put together a short thread on Twitter to explain the issues around providing service around the battle fronts:

https://twitter.com/mikepuchol/status/1578524400055648256

If anyone wants to dig into any particulars let me know.

If SpaceX suddenly turned off what in Ukraine is now an essential service and a military asset, based on some strong words thrown around, or questions around payments, it would be devastating for the credibility of Starlink as anything other than a consumer product.

My personal view is that SpaceX has the right to be fairly compensated for their contribution, just like the manufacturers of Javelins are not giving them away for free. What “fairly” means is where the conversation must happen. SpaceX was too generous early on and set expectations, and now seems to be moving to the other side of the spectrum in terms of their costs, with figures that seem, on the surface, unrealistic.

Best,

Mike