[Starlink] The DoD "Transport Layer"

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 15:31:35 EDT 2022

Dear David:

Would it cheer you up any to learn, that 15+ years after the debate
over UWB ended, that it's finally seeing FAR more
major uptake and reasonable standardization, and actual working chips?

It did me. I was pretty scarred by that mess also, and what was it?
the 272 notches the FCC demanded be cut out of it, which swamped
circuit design capabilities at the time... but not as bad as you.

I didn't know until recently that it had hit iphones in 2019. and was
part of the airtags, nor that the baseline latency on the things was
50us, with admittedly only a 1000 bit payload - Still crippled as to
distance, and total bandwidth to under 10mbits, but, power usage is
*amazing*.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-wideband

The SPARK chips in particular have a nice looking devkit.

Anyway... just as the swamp of ipx and non-interoperable email systems
finally died...

You can't in the end, keep a good idea down. Maybe on average it takes
25 years to settle on saner things.

... We have centuries to sort the solar system's internet out, and the more
we can do to convince the next generation as to the right principles
to apply to it, the better.