[Starlink] Starlink no longer available to the Ukrainian army?

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Sun Oct 16 15:03:50 EDT 2022

On Sun Oct 16, 2022 at 08:44:12PM +0200, Sebastian Moeller via Starlink wrote:
> > and it's worth remembering that it's not just being used for military C&C, it's being used for (almost) all Internet access through the country, normal telcom, Hospitals, community access, etc.
>
> Do we know this for sure? As far as I know (so not very much, one of my
> colleagues in the early 2000s was Ukranian and told me about their figer
> optics telephony system) Ukraine might have some fiber infrastructure
> that should make at least the west not fully reliant on Starlkink.

They have loads of fibre like most countries, there were many reports of
them repairing it after was damage, a few sumarried -

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjbapv/diy-volunteers-are-repairing-ukraines-destroyed-internet-infrastructure
https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2022/03/22/while-russians-bombs-fall-around-them-ukraines-engineers-battle-to-keep-the-internet-running/

loads more on twitter.

For c&c and the front line they can't depend on that especially as
they regain areas where Russia has has time to infiltrate/redeploy
the existing infrastructure, and which may now be the target of
their own attack. One of Russias weaknesses was depending on the
local infra for their own operations.

brandon