[Starlink] misery metrics & consequences

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 17:04:28 EDT 2022

One of the best talks I've ever seen on how to measure customer
satisfaction properly just went up after the P99 Conference.

It's called Misery Metrics.

After going through a deep dive as to why and how we think and act on
percentiles, bins, and other statistical methods as to how we use the
web and internet are *so wrong* (well worth watching and thinking
about if you are relying on or creating network metrics today), it
then points to the real metrics that matter to users and the ultimate
success of an internet business: Timeouts, retries, misses, failed
queries, angry phone calls, abandoned shopping carts and loss of
engagement.

https://www.p99conf.io/session/misery-metrics-consequences/

The ending advice was - don't aim to make a specific percentile
acceptable, aim for an acceptable % of misery.

I enjoyed the p99 conference more than any conference I've attended in years.

--
This song goes out to all the folk that thought Stadia would work:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dtaht_the-mushroom-song-activity-6981366665607352320-FXtz