[Starlink] [M-Lab-Discuss] misery metrics & consequences

Dave Collier-Brown dave.collier-Brown at indexexchange.com
Mon Oct 24 13:37:55 EDT 2022

I read the talk as saying we should measure and report the failures rather than the successes.

Let's say download speed is the problem,  and I'm Rogers, an ISP with lots of subnets.  For each I plot the number of downloads per net per hour which were slower than X kb/s, not counting ones whose total time were less than 2 seconds.

That gives you a measurement that fairly closely models the degree of human annoyance you're causing (;-))

And Rogers causes a lot, but it's usually on concalls, not downloads.

--dave

[I might use a poll to see if a claimed huge improvement worked, but I don't trust human estimations any more that you do (:-)]