[Starlink] Packet losses in a router

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Mon Oct 24 16:54:48 EDT 2022

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 10:13:35PM +0200, David Fernández via Starlink wrote:
> Dear participants of this list,
>
> If you had a router that in lab conditions, with Gigabit Ethernet
> interfaces, that losses 1 or 2 out of a few thousands of UDP packets
> of a few hundreds of bytes each one, during a test of 1 minute, at
> only 50 packets/s using iperf2, I am sure that you would investigate
> why, wouldn't you?

If there isn't some reasonable explanation (like GigE -> 100M stepdown
and bursty traffic overflowing buffers), there must not be loss.  Never.

When we test new circuits we do Cisco ping "sweep rate of sizes",
which pings with 38...18000 bytes, 5 times - including fragments, this
is very many packets.  The expected result is "0 packet lost".

(Arguably this test is only exercising the circuit half-duplex, so
the notorious 100Mbit half-duplex / full-duplex mismatch is not caught,
but any sort of one-way error is)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279