[Starlink] [mat-wg] [ippm] [Rpm] [M-Lab-Discuss] misery metrics & consequences

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 04:14:40 EDT 2022

To add some context to this enormous cross post of mine, to try and
get folk here to think further out of the box,
the FCC is due to announce how "consumer broadband labels" are
supposed to work on Nov 15th. Nobody knows
what they are going to announce.

Their first attempt was laughable, the laughs in this attempt (which
is admittedly much better), are subtler.

https://www.benton.org/blog/consumer-driven-broadband-label-design

I liked how they leveraged waveform's categories in this one.

I (cynically) loved how the delay and loss both grew in this example,
where loss should increase with less delay in most circumstances.
Perhaps consumers can be trained to look for high loss and low delay,
but I doubt it.

--
This song goes out to all the folk that thought Stadia would work:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dtaht_the-mushroom-song-activity-6981366665607352320-FXtz