[Starlink] Starlink "beam spread"

Mike Puchol mike at starlink.sx
Thu Sep 1 03:05:29 EDT 2022

The primary reason for -not- offering service in any given country is, primarily, regulatory (see the South Africa case). Once they
> I'm not going to reason from "intersatellite" routing being operational until they offer it in operation. It's feasible, sort of. Laser beam aiming is quite different from phased array beam steering, and though they may have tested it between two satellites, that makes it a "link technology" not a network. (you can steer a laser beam by moving lightweight mirrors, I know. But tracking isn't so easy when both satellites are moving relative to each other - it seems like way beyond the technology base that Starlink has put in its satellites so far. But who knows.

We operate several of these in Kenya: https://x.company/projects/taara

They offer 20 Gbps at distances of 20km, and they operate under considerably more vibration, motion, and scintillation than you have in space. They have no issue keeping track of each other once initial acquisition is made. SpaceX launched 10 satellites into polar orbit in Jan 2021, which it used to test and characterize the ISL optical heads - you could see them positioning the satellites in configurations to test side-looking (thus cross-plane), and at different altitudes (cross-shell), and even parallel links to characterize hardware differences (we did this with ours in Kenya too). It was fascinating to watch. I’m quite certain the least problem for Starlink (unless they made major boo-boos in hardware or software) is acquisition and tracking.

A very good book (but not cheap) on the topic is "Free Space Optical Communication” by Hemani Kaushal.
> As far as "intersatellite" routing being out there soon, well, there's no evidence it's happening soon.

There is circumstantial evidence from a user in Nigeria that was getting service and exiting via London, there is no evidence that any of the gateways in Nigeria are operational, so ISL could have played a role: https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/wwg0nc/starlink_speed_test_in_nigeria/

Best,

Mike