[Starlink] Starlink "beam spread"

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Sep 2 08:27:03 EDT 2022

Hi Michael

> On Sep 1, 2022, at 21:56, Michael Richardson via Starlink <starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>

> David Fernández via Starlink wrote:
>> If Starlink satellites are processing IP packets, shouldn't them be
>> shown in traceroutes? They are not shown now, AFAIK.
>
> sadly, they aren't doing IP processing.
> I don't think that they ever will decide to for NIH reasons.
> I suspect that their SDN hardware probably can, and I think that SR6 is
> probably ideal for their use, but...

	Why would SR6 be better than any other "underlay" encapsulation here, like MPLS or SR-MPLS? Naively put this seems to trade 4 byte per label with a full 40 byte IPv6 header plus 8 bytes plus 16 bytes per "label". Asking out of genuine curiosity what are those additional bytes in overhead actually buying (except the freedom from MPLS).

Regards
	Sebastian