[Starlink] It's still the starlink latency...

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Mon Sep 26 12:32:27 EDT 2022

If you want to get attention, you can get it for free. I can place articles
with various press if there is something interesting to say. Did this all
through the evangelism of Open Source. All we need to do is write, sign,
and publish a statement. What they actually write is less relevant if they
publish a link to our statement.

Right now I am concerned that the Starlink latency and jitter is going to
be a problem even for remote controlling my ham station. The US Military is
interested in doing much more, which they have demonstrated, but I don't
see happening *at scale *without some technical work on the network. Being
able to say this isn't ready for the government's application would be an
attention-getter.

    Thanks

    Bruce

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 9:21 AM Dave Taht via Starlink <
starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> These days, if you want attention, you gotta buy it. A 50k half page
> ad in the wapo or NYT riffing off of It's the latency, Stupid!",
> signed by the kinds of luminaries we got for the fcc wifi fight, would
> go a long way towards shifting the tide.
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 8:29 AM Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 8:20 AM Livingood, Jason
> > <Jason_Livingood at comcast.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > The awareness & understanding of latency & impact on QoE is nearly
> unknown among reporters. IMO maybe there should be some kind of background
> briefings for reporters - maybe like a simple YouTube video explainer that
> is short & high level & visual? Otherwise reporters will just continue to
> focus on what they know...
> >
> > That's a great idea. I have visions of crashing the washington
> > correspondents dinner, but perhaps
> > there is some set of gatherings journalists regularly attend?
> >

> > > On 9/21/22, 14:35, "Starlink on behalf of Dave Taht via Starlink" <
> starlink-bounces at lists.bufferbloat.net on behalf of
> starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
> > >
> > >     I still find it remarkable that reporters are still missing the
> > >     meaning of the huge latencies for starlink, under load.
> > >

> > --
> > FQ World Domination pending:
> https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/state_of_fq_codel/
> > Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC