[Starlink] It's still the starlink latency...

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Mon Sep 26 16:35:55 EDT 2022

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 1:19 PM Eugene Y Chang <eugene.chang at ieee.org>
wrote:

> You already know this. Bufferbloat is a symptom and not the cause.
> Bufferbloat grows when there are (1) periods of low or no bandwidth or (2)
> periods of insufficient bandwidth (aka network congestion).
>
> If I understand this correctly, just a software update cannot make
> bufferbloat go away. It might improve the speed of recovery (e.g. throw
> away all time sensitive UDP messages).

This is not my understanding.

Bufferbloat is caused by too much buffering in your host, the endpoint, and
all intermediate nodes. As a result, they feed packets into the network
faster than all of the intermediate nodes can pass them on. And then your
latency-sensitive packet gets stuck at the end of those buffers because
nobody across the network honors quality-of-service markings in the packet
or even uses them honestly.

Dave can no doubt say more.