[Starlink] It's still the starlink latency...

Eugene Chang eugene.chang at alum.mit.edu
Thu Sep 29 15:34:47 EDT 2022

It is common for a lot of business apps to be built on a web platform.
If you look at the network traffic of the web pages, there are a lot of packet exchanges for each retrieval and update of a web page. Each of these exchanges experience the latency. It makes a big difference if the latency is 20ms vs 100ms.

Subjectively, the productivity is dramatically different if the use has a snappy interaction with the web app vs one with 100-200ms. Remember, each packet exchange has this latency tax.

Quantitatively, we can look at the complexity of each web page and update. The total delay for each interaction can be computed. Some of this latency tax is why moving the web app closer to the user with a CDN helps. That part is under control of the app deployment. The poor user stuck with high latency will be penalized.

The performance penalty is not an old vs young issue. Yes some people are mentally quicker and sharper. But the latency tax is imposed on a user and it is likely the lower performance from the latency tax will be blamed on the user. As the world expands deployment to the underserved, there is very low awareness that some of these deployments have longer latency. These new network users will be penalized by the latency. Most of the world will assume they are slower because of their low digital literacy.

There is another group of people that also pay a high latency tax. Subscribers in the less wealthy sections of the city. There I see symptoms of digital redlining, less wealthy sections of the city where the network is configured to be highly oversubscribed (I say, under provisioned). These subscribers have a high latency tax. Yeah, we can blame these subscribers from less wealthy sections for being less productive because of there personal attitudes.

Sorry, this is my latency and digital equity peeve.

Gene
Eugene Chang
eugene.chang at alum.mit.edu
+1-781-799-0233 (in Honolulu)