[Thumbgps-devel] quake sensing

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 09:09:40 EDT 2012

I have obtained one of the onavi-B sensors to play with

The quake sensor stanford is distributing is the
onavi-A and onavi-B, shown here:

http://qcn.stanford.edu/sensor-performance?lang=en

It uses a KXRB5 MEMS accelerometer from Kionix.

My intent, originally, was to see if I could find a way to combine
it with a ublox GPS over the internal i2c bus. It looks
like that will require using a different ublox-6 chip than in
the macx-1 with rewritable firmware and a firmware license, and...
well... maybe going some other route like leveraging
an arduino would be saner(?)

At the moment however, I'm trying to figure
out if there are any better MEMS sensors out there, or
better ways to hook them up than this device
which appears to have it's own protocol, running over
serial...

http://qcn.stanford.edu/join-qcn/request-a-sensor/sensor49-php

The qcn.stanford.edu idea is pretty neat. it's designed for boinc
after the fact analysis (and there is linux support)

The USGS has got a fairly decent looking prototype of an early warning system,
but their outside estimates for warning time is 20 seconds, presently, after
what they've designed is fully deployed. (and they are 100m short on funding)

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2012/04/earthquake_warning_los_angeles_usgs.php

SKYPE: davetaht
http://ronsravings.blogspot.com/