[Thumbgps-devel] time and random numbers

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 20:48:32 EST 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> One of my other concerns in life is the lack of quality random numbers
> for use in cryptography.

Worth thinking about.

> http://warmcat.com/_wp/whirlygig-rng/

I'm not sure I would trust something like this unless I was sure the
author understood a lot of stuff about a lot of stuff, and that lots
of experts had then examined it from various aspects.  There's a
growing body of literature on this.  See, e.g.:

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijrc/2010/879281/

Having said that, the board I'm envisioning could actually be used for
the quantization stage of random number generation from random events
in time such as alpha decay.