[Thumbgps-devel] Build vs. modify vs. what should we be doing anyway?

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 17:27:56 EDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 4:18 PM, tz <thomas at mich.com> wrote:

> The board is probably minimum 4 layer.

The main board could easily be 2 layers, because the GPS is done in a
surface mount module that mounts on the main board.  Pictures here:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=80&topicid=60005

> The prolific is 28 pin ssop with scattered power and ground pins.

There's apparently an 8 pin variant -- check the picture...

> GPS chips (except for highly integrated modules) are worse as far as
> the pins you need to get to the right places.

Right -- you ought to be able to use modules for this quantity.