[Thumbgps-devel] the serial alternative/radio noise

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 19:22:48 EDT 2012

So in addition to the crypto + gps idea floated earlier

I direct you at the 'smile plug', which is also an ideal device for
deployment in places without reliable power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r74rKmz-9Qk

I have to drop in at stanford soon to check out their progress.

Earlier versions of this hardware (see the open-rd) had some
interesting connectors available in addition to usb. I don't know if
the dreamplug does - the guruplug had such lousy thermals as to rule
it out for any usage....

I'm not wedded to the the wndr3800 as the 'reference time ticker
beyond the internet edge' for this project, it merely seemed at the
time that just plugging in a good gps signal into the deployment via
the router I was already using (and bismark uses, as well as what
several other network measurement projects are using), which has
increasingly well characterized behavior, was the right thing.

we certainly seem to have identified a market and price gap between
shipped devices with bad time, and devices with good time, but we
haven't established that usb with PPS on 'dcd emulation' can be made
'more right', as yet.

So I'm kind of looking for ways to get the right parts and evaluate
the following without having to do much soldiering, to try and isolate
where each of the latency problems are.

PPS serial
PPS usb
kernel pps
gpsd w/wo r/t privs under load

Stuff like that. I'd like to be able to duplicate hal's weird traces,
find a reciever that works even halfway decently indoors, etc, etc.

The venus really does look like a nice device.

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/11058

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
http://www.bufferbloat.net