[Thumbgps-devel] Build vs. modify vs. what should we be doing anyway?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Mar 12 21:43:41 EDT 2012

Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com>:
> As noted elsewhere it might be cool to get away from serial
> emulation entirely.

I agree.  For years I've thought it was silly that SiRF or somebody
else hasn't designed a direct-to-USB GPS chip.  Such an obvious next
step considering how obsolete RS232 is becoming - they could reduce
parts count drastically *and* claim a larger share of end-product BOM
for a double win.

Unfortunately, exactly *because* it's so obvious, the fact that it
hasn't been done sends an unpleasant message about the front-loaded
costs of this plan. They must be pretty high. If SiRF can't hack them,
they're sure as hell out of our reach.