[Thumbgps-devel] Build vs. modify vs. what should we be doing anyway?

Chris Kuethe chris.kuethe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 22:53:30 EDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 19:40, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:
>> Chris Kuethe <chris.kuethe at gmail.com>:
>>> ublox antaris4 (and probably everything newer) has on-die usb and
>>> implements the abstract modem class. but 1PPS isn't transmitted over
>>> usb.
>>
>> Annoyingly, it probably could be.  That modem model pretty much has to have
>> DCD and RI events.

Well, serial is great for implementing in small/uncomplicated/cheap
hardware... I guess if you're TSMC or Atmel you can cram in a hardware
controller. And Atmel did joint work with ublox to produce the
antaris.

As for tiny USB stacks, at least LUFA and V-USB come to mind.  I think
you can fit a software implementation into 4K.

I don't know of any I2C/SPI GPS. If you can point me at some good ones
I'd appreciate it, because I was thinking I'd have to build some glue
logic to do that for another project of mine.

AT90USB162 are $3.71 for single pieces from digikey. Or about $20 if
you want a nicely fabricated board like the "teensy".