[Thumbgps-devel] Project clarification

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Mar 14 01:00:19 EDT 2012

Patrick Maupin <pmaupin at gmail.com>:
> If we really want to consider our own firmware, we might consider
> something like nuttx running on either an Atmel part or an NXP
> LPC3131.  Olimex has an NXP development board for $90.

Let's do the simple thing first.  If we can pull accuracy down to around 1-2ms
without custom firmware - which I think is achievable - I don't think the
extra NRE for custom firmware can be justified.

OTOH, that route starts to look more attractive if the Mark I thumbGPS
works and we start thinking more seriously about a Mark II device with
Dave's environmental sensors on it.

What each of you with a differing speculative design (or family of
designs) ought to do is name it so we can avoid confusing each other
in discussion.

I hereby claim the name "Plain Jane" for the concept where we build
a straight-up USB thumb with PPS, using a commodity GPS module with
TTL serial outlet mated to a PL2303 or similar commodity USB-to-serial
converter, no custom firmware.