[Thumbgps-devel] GPS dongles

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Mar 14 08:23:36 EDT 2012

Chinavision CVGI-B07: $23
   This is the one with the unidentifiable 8-pin PL2303 clone,
no good because it probably doesn't pass 1PPS and we don't know
how to get the parts for a clone,

Canmore GT-730F(L): $36
   Based on the SkyTraq Venus 5 chipset.  Claims 65 channels.  The
"datasheet" at the vendor site is a profoundly uninformative user
manual - can't tell what USB-to-serial chip it's using.  However
Amazon claims it's Linux-compatible.

GlobalSat ND-100S USB GPS Dongle: $32
   SiRF-III-based.  Claims Linux compatibility.  Uses the PL2303
driver (the documentation is silent on this but if you download the
Linux driver it has pl2303 in the archive name).  This looks like a good
target for blue-wiring or cloning; we should take one apart to see if
it has a real PL2303 in it.  My guess is it will; GlobalSat is not
a fly-by-night outfit.

SJ-5282 GPS Dongle: $25
   Based on SkyTraq Venus 6. No data sheet at the vendor site.  Will
inquire at service at sja.com.tw.  The enclosure looks familiar, I think
this one is sold under multiple names.

MightyGPS 100ND: $52
   Uses a GPS chipset called "M-Star MSB2122" not known to me.  No
datasheet at the vendor site.  USB adapter not specified.  I'll
email info at mightygps.com to ask.

uBlox 5 USB GPS stick
   Seen at http://www.laptopgpsworld.com. Listed for completeness; probably
uses the on-board uBlox USB that doesn't carry 1PPS out.

NaviLock NL-464US SiRF 3: Not for sale in US
   Uses SiRF-III. Can't identify the adapter, but it claims Linux 2.6
compatibility.

GiSTEQ GPS USB dongle: $39
   Can't identify either GPs or adapter.

Gotop GPS USB Dongle: $24.50
   Uses PL2303. No datasheet available at vendor site.

Here's the alibaba page listing Chinese products of this type:

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/usb-gps-dongle.html

It looks like there are a handful of designs being resold under
a lot of different names - the Chinavision and SJ-5282 in particular
are all over the place.

I think our best teardown target is probably the GlobalSat ND-100S,
but I'm going to use the alibaba page to shotgun the Chinese vendors
looking for (a) any that might carry PPS, and (b) what the chipsets
and USB adapters are.

Ideology, politics and journalism, which luxuriate in failure, are
impotent in the face of hope and joy.
	-- P. J. O'Rourke