[Thumbgps-devel] USB handshake signals and Linux

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Wed Mar 14 08:55:43 EDT 2012

My GlobalSat BU-353 has an internal Prolific serial - USB converter.  It
pretty much worked out of the box in Ubuntu 11.04 without installing any
drivers, although some drivers are available on the GlobalSat website.
And, I'm only communicating with it, at the moment, using NTPD, not
GPSD.  I'm running windows at the moment, so I cannot look at that
config file.  However, I think it appears as /dev/ttyUSB0 or something,
then I had to make a symbolic link to /dev/gps5 (which is equivalent to
running on COM5 in windows).

I have a sure electronics GPS demo board on order.  I have to solder a
wire on the board to get PPS to the DCD pin, and hopefully not kill the
board.  Once that's done, I'm going to be testing PPS through an
external Prolific based adapter, the Trendnet TU-S9.  The packaging
specifically says it passes signals on all pins of the DB9 connector.
The reviews on this adapter on Amazon.com are good, some of which
mention linux.  My first testing will be on windows, then linux.

For those of you who may not be familiar with the NTP Questions list,
there is a good bit of discussion on this list about GPS, perhaps more
so since I've been asking questions about problems I've been having.
While not specific to your project, the info that comes across the list
might be helpful.

http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/ - archives

Sincerely,

Ron