[Thumbgps-devel] Effect of baud rate USB GPS / NMEA wandering effect / GPGGA

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Thu Mar 15 09:20:42 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

I thought I'd pass along some random info from my testing of my
GlobalSat BU-353 USB only GPS.  Some of this has been discussed on the
NTP questions list, and I thought it might be useful to you.

A) I have a nice example of (apparently) NMEA wandering here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/drifting01-peerstats.20120312.jpg

This graph shows my pc locked to the GPS, which is the jaggy dark line
centered around zero vertically.  The band of colored lines is a group
of internet servers I'm watching.  You can clearly see them wandering
away from zero.  Then, in the middle, my GPS has a heart attack, and the
offset of the colored lines dramatically shifts.  Then it starts
wandering again.

So, one of three things is happening:

    1) all the internet servers are wandering
    2) my gps is wandering
    3) neither is happening, and this is a reporting error in the
peerstats file

#2 seems the most likely.

B) The graph above was taken with the GPS set to 57600 baud.  I don't
really even know what that means in the context of a USB connection.  I
did that to reduce latency and perhaps jitter.  However, it may also
reduce the stability of the GPS.  I've had two instances where my system
clock suddenly jumped to about 52 seconds off.  Cause unknown.  I
reduced the baud rate to 9600 as a test.  Results are preliminary, but
it looks like the unit may be more stable and may wander less.  It
didn't seem to affect the jitter much.  Regardless of how the data gets
through the USB, once the baud rate was reduced, I had to adjust my
offset fudge factor by about 90 ms to get the reported GPS time to agree
with the internet servers I'm monitoring.

C) I believe I have recommended using the GPZDA sentence here before,
and indeed, the manual for the Trimble Resolution T also recommends it
for timekeeping.  However, David Taylor and I got into a discussion on
this on the NTP Questions list.  He pointed out that the GPZDA doesn't
have any validity check field where as GPGGA does.  We looked in the C
code for NTPD's refclock implementation, and found out that it does
check said validity field.  I don't know what it does with the data.  In
any case, I decided to revert my system back to using GPGGA.
Theoretically, this should allow a more graceful recovery in case the
GPS fails.  In my experience, GPGGA does produce slightly more jitter
than GPZDA.

Sincerely,

Ron