[Thumbgps-devel] USB handshake signals and Linux

tz tz2026 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 15:14:32 EDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:
> tz <tz2026 at gmail.com>:

> You happen to be one of the 1% exceptions.  Sorry about that.  It means
> you have to start GPSD by hand and can't use udev.  There isn't a better
> solution, the information to implement one is just not there.

The problem is that if I hook up an Arduino (on most Distros including
gpsd or even gpsd installed new), gpsd fires up and tries probing.

My argument is not with the others with unique ids (vendor/product)
but the one with the plain, default vendor/product ID that is on by
default in udev (instead of commented out with a note).

>> I have the PPS hooked to the CTS pin, but gpsd has to be recompiled to
>> enable pps or change pins.  This should be configurable at runtime.

> For the bufferbloat deployment, GPSD will be compiled with 1PPS enabled.
> I might change that to be the default - it's hard to imagine circumstances
> under which that could go wrong.

It would also be nice if it would autoconfigure which pin/pins were
used.  You could enable it and then use something to figure out which
pin (or enable change on any of them?).