[Thumbgps-devel] Fwd: Long term SiRF data

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Sat Mar 17 10:42:52 EDT 2012

Hi all,

(I'd like to cross post this message, including the original message
below to the NTP questions list since we've been discussing this nmea
wandering effect.  Let me know if there are any objections.)
(Please forward this to the original sender of the first message if needed.)

I've been seeing similar wandering of the NMEA output on my BU-353.
  This graph shows what looks like the internet servers (colored lines)
wandering off while my pc is locked to gps time (dark jaggy baseline).
  I suppose it's actually the GPS wandering off.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/drifting01-peerstats.20120312.jpg

Can someone please tell me, if known, why this happens?  I've been
discussing this a good bit on the NTP questions list.  On my particular
home network / internet connection, my offsets to internet servers with
NTP running run about + / - 50 ms.  I've decided to use the BU-353 GPS
anyway, since in the short term, my offsets are + / - 6 ms or so, even
if over days, my time varies + / - 70 ms from UTC.  At least the
variations are not every 15 minutes like they would be if I was polling
the internet.  I hope to shortly have a Sure Electronics GPS board and
will be testing that.  David Taylor, on the NTP questions list says the
same NMEA wandering has been observed on the Garmin 18 ??.  I'm not sure
which model that was.

Here's how to reprogram th BU-353.  Lots of the support stuff is here:

http://www.usglobalsat.com/s-122-bu-353-support.aspx

However, the program we need is not.  To program the unit, you need
SirfDemo.

First check out the FAQ here:

http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/gpsfacts/bu353_gps_facts.html

And you can find a link to SirfDemo here:

http://www.usglobalsat.com/downloads/setupSiRFDemoV387.zip

Unzip and install SirfDemo.  Do the following to reprogram the BU-353.
  I assume other SirfIII units are similar.  SirfDemo gives you access
to a HUGE number of internal GPS functions, probably enough to really
screw up the device if you're not careful.  You can also do factory
restarts, etc., from the menus.

a) Shut down NTP, GPSD, or any other thing attached to the GPS virtual
com port.
b) Start SirfDemo.
c) A Data Source window will pop up.  Select the com port and data rate
that the GPS is currently set to.  If the baud rate is unknown, try 4800
then try to connect, then 9600, etc.  If the com port is unknown, look
in the Windows control panel, system, device manager under ports com and
lpt to determine which com port is active.
d) Under the view menu, turn on the Signal, Radar, Map, Messages
Response, Messages Error, and Messages Debug windows if not on already.
e) Click the 5th toolbar button, which is connect to data source.
f) If the unit is outputting NMEA data, that should appear in the debug
window.  If it is outputting satellite data, you'll get that in the
signal and radar windows.
g) Under the Action menu, select switch to SIRF protocol.  The NMEA data
will stop and the response window will start outputting data.
h) Under the Action menu, select switch to NMEA protocol.
i) A parameter selection window will pop up.  This allows the sentence
output to be customized.  Using the drop down boxes, put a 1 in every
sentence you want to occur once per second.  Put a 2 for once every 2
seconds, etc.  Put a 0 if you don't want the sentence to appear at all.
  You can click in the first number field, type a number, and tab to the
rest if you like.  I leave checksums turned on.  Select your baud rate,
then click send.
j) The response view windows should stop updating and the debug view
should start up again with NMEA sentences.
k) Click the 5th toolbar button again which will disconnect you from the
GPS.
l) Close SirfDemo.
m) You are now ready to resume using the GPS with NTP as normal.

There are many many other options you can choose from the menu options
of SirfDemo, including a factory reset, should you need it.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Ron