[Thumbgps-devel] Fwd: Long term SiRF data

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Sat Mar 17 14:04:28 EDT 2012

On 3/17/2012 12:56 PM, Patrick Maupin wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Ron Frazier (NTP)
> <timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com>  wrote:
>
>> (I'd like to cross post this message, including the original message below
>> to the NTP questions list since we've been discussing this nmea wandering
>> effect.  Let me know if there are any objections.)
>>
> I don't know why there would be.  But perhaps you can forward any
> interesting replies.
>

>> I've been seeing similar wandering of the NMEA output on my BU-353.  This
>> graph shows what looks like the internet servers (colored lines) wandering
>> off while my pc is locked to gps time (dark jaggy baseline).  I suppose it's
>> actually the GPS wandering off.
>>
> I've been making some progress on building a replicable device
> suitable for fairly accurate short term timing.  I think the
> capabilities required have been shrinking as things like reports of
> 300 us jitter come in, but I still think it would be extremely useful
> to have a device (a) that we can have a few of and (b) that can be
> used to validate timing variations from other devices and as a check
> on the system clock and (c) that isn't a $100K piece of lab equipment.
>
> So the simplest goal is to make a highly accurate oscillator that you
> can hook to your PC that generates USB interrupts like the USB.  If it
> "wanders" like the GPS, then, well, it's probably your PC, perhaps
> losing time under heavy load or something.

I don't know what all your design criteria are, but for just the little
piece of the problem you mentioned above, you could try something like
this.  Take the output of one of those OCXO's, which I think you said is
26 Mhz.  If I'm doing my math right, run that through a 15 bit counter
to divide it down.  The output should be a very accurate 793.457 Hz
square wave.  You could, of course add more bits to divide further.  You
could also add some glue logic to reset the counter at any point you
wanted, to get less ugly output frequencies.  Take that 793 Hz square
wave and feed it into one of the handshaking pins, like DCD, on any
Prolific or FTDI based serial - usb converter that passes handshaking.
I have a Trendnet TU-S9 unit which I hope to be testing soon.  This
should give you very consistent USB messages coming from the converter
with a period of about 1.2 ms.

Sincerely,

Ron