[Thumbgps-devel] Progress on Plain Jane

tz tz2026 at gmail.com
Tue May 1 22:13:13 EDT 2012

If you start to go too exotic, then an Arduino with ethernet shield
emitting a packet right at the pps starts to look good, and the parts are
at Radio Shack.  But any such not in quantity would be more expensive.
There are plenty of generic usb 2.0 chips and acm or cdc is just a set of
bit and endpoint specs.  And any 2.0 chip would need to use an existing
linux driver unless someone plans to do a lot of libusb coding.

The base problem is hardware lameness.  Polling instead of an interrupt pin
that can immediately respond, much less something like an input capture.  I
could probably sync a 2ppm dallas semiconductor i2c real time clock's 1Hz
output, but even then there is nothing to sync that with the internal
clocks.  (I was already inspired to use pps to create an accurate synced
timestamp for j1850 data off my motorcycle - oh, and batchpcb.com can do
small quantities of small boards themselves cheap, but you still need to
build them).

If you have a 2nd usb port and want to get tricky, the pnp/insert/remove
event is likely higher priority, so with a FET...