[Thumbgps-devel] [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Tue May 1 23:07:20 EDT 2012

Hi Dave,

There is a third option in-play, but I've not spoken about it in public.

I have an ARM (xscale) board with OpenWRT (amd gpsd) running that has provisions for a Trimble Copernicus-based GPS module with the PPS output tied to a GPIO pin on the Xscale, and the UART on the GPS module connected to the Xscale at TTL signal levels.

The module is in-transit, so I've not completed the integration or started testing.  I should be able to use the fast-path IRQ stuff on the xscale to significantly reduce the latency & jitter over a USB-based solution. I know it's fast enough to be able to implement a distributed CSMA scheme among multiple 802.11 radios, with timing sufficient to occur in the same timespan as two short OFDM symbols (800ns each, so 1.6 microsec.)

Outdoor enclosures, POE, etc. are all sourced, so the whole ball of wax could be put outside, with either Ethernet or Wi-Fi connectivity.  Alternatively, an antenna with DC power could be used, (it's available).

When they're ready, of course you can have one to play with.  I'm doing it to support your efforts wrt bufferbloat.

Jim