[Thumbgps-devel] Article -- Macx-1: GPS receiver with standard USB connector and PPS support

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed May 9 12:55:01 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:
> Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com>:
>> What would be the change in cost and delay in manufacturing to switch to
>> using a supercap, rather than battery?
>
> Why would a supercap be better?

Effective lifetime of... forever. no need for replacement. insanely
fast recharge. smaller (probably). What's not to like?

I am not in a huge hurry to get into manufacturing, and I merely
wanted to cost out what what it would do to the bom, any changes to
the PCB, and get an estimate for the time it would take to do. I think
it will bump the unit cost up slightly,
but what price, forever?

> --

SKYPE: davetaht