[Thumbgps-devel] cold start of Macx-1 GPS receiver

tz thomas at mich.com
Fri May 11 11:29:14 EDT 2012

Cold start should be under 10 minutes with an open sky.  It would help
taking the unit on a USB battery pack outside; I usually see 5 minutes or
less - that is what the "65" channels do although not more than 12-14 will
ever be used to track satellites.  Usually there are at least 10 sats
visible under such conditions.  Once locked and the ephemeris is obtained
for each satellite, it can warmstart back inside quickly if there are
enough satellites even in a partial view.

The first problem is getting a lock - it acts like a scanner initially
searching the entire band.  If only a few satellites are visible, the
chances of hitting one are lower.  Then it has to maintain the lock for
around 40 seconds to get the complete ephemeris of that one satellite.  To
get all satellites might take many hours as their orbits bring them into
and out of the view.  It needs 3 satellites for a 2d fix, 4 for a 3d.
Usually there is an algorithm preventing use of those with too low an
elevation.  It needs a clearer signal to achieve the initial lock than to
track (it uses doppler so it is easier to maintain or find once you know
the expected value, otherwise you have to tune carefully).

So if you have enough problems, a very restricted sky view, multipath,
intermittent signals (the 40 seconds must be uninterrupted), it might take
an hour to get that for 4 satellites at the same time (as they move in and
out of the aperture or lose signal), get their full ephemeris, and start
solving.  But once it has a complete set of ephemeris data and knows the
general location it will start very quickly.

You can usually see this with the satellite display - the circle with
azimuth and elevation and signal strength.

I have to have my antennas right near my window to get a reasonable
cold-start.