[Bismark-devel] flashing woes - instructions don't seem to work

Dave Taht d at taht.net
Fri Apr 15 13:32:01 EDT 2011

On 04/13/2011 11:58 PM, Nick Feamster wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I think the instructions need some work.
>
> First, I tried the "sysupgrade" with the appropriate binary.  That appeared to re-flash the router, but not otherwise do much.  After that upgrade, the router appeared on 192.168.42.1, but I could no longer ssh into it, and the normal Web interface did not work.

Usually the only interface enabled after a reflash is telnet. Was telnet
busted, too?

Otherwise you've found a bug. Up until now I've been reflashing with
atftp exclusively on Linux.

> Then, I figured I would try Srikanth's flashing instructions.  First, it's not clear what the "reset" button is.  I figure that must be the factory reset button, as opposed to some button on the front of the box (I tried everything).
I have revised the instructions here.

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bismark/wiki/Flashing_instruction_for_Mac

> I did not get any of the flashing sequences that the instructions describe.  At this point, tftp fails, and I see very strange pings:
Hmm... what did you get? how long did you hold the button down for? (see
above instructions)
> 1:54am:kenmore-square:tmp% ping 192.168.1.1
> PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes
> 40 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=-331079123350.339 ms
> wrong total length 60 instead of 84
> wrong data byte #8 should be 0x8 but was 0x69

This is normal, actually. You are pinging a very primitive network stack
built into uboot(redboot?). The system time is set to the epoch. (1970
or so)

It sounds like your tftp failed.

>  So, at this point, I am stuck.

Still stuck?