[Bismark-devel] switching issue on device

Dave Taht d at taht.net
Sun Apr 17 10:46:22 EDT 2011

On 04/17/2011 08:36 AM, Nick Feamster wrote:
> when I ping my server from the openwrt box, I can see it:
>
> root at OpenWrt:~# ping 172.16.0.159
> PING 172.16.0.159 (172.16.0.159): 56 data bytes
> 64 bytes from 172.16.0.159: seq=0 ttl=64 time=1.326 ms
> 64 bytes from 172.16.0.159: seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.365 ms
>

> but when I associate to the SSID of the OpenWRT box and try to ping my server's IP address, I can't.
>
> Strangely, when I associate to an access point that is *downstream* of the OpenWRT box (i.e., a second access point that is actually connected to one of the switch ports on the OpenWRT box), pinging also works.  It is only when I associate directly to the OpenWRT box that (1) upnp names (e.g., back-bay.local), and (2) pinging the .159 address do not work.

Multicast DNS (.local) addresses need a mdnsresponder installed. By
default you are using pure dnsmasq, which defaults to naming various
machines whatever.lan, (and can be configured to "do the right thing for
real internet connections" by setting up

For example, in my case, my main dns server out on the internet for
taht.net delegates the subdomain "co.teklibre.org" to my gateway there
(or it did, before I left colorado) and my router would assign names and
addresses inside of that space, (after setting it up to use
co.teklibre.org and not .lan) example: cruithne.co.teklibre.org is my
laptop.

> Any ideas what is going on here?

I'm mildly confused as to your topology here. Diagram?

You are behind NAT by default, so if you try to ping through the WAN
port to something anything inside the LAN, those machines will be
unreachable. You should however, be able to ping from the wireless to
anywhere wired, LAN or WAN port. If you have AP isolation turned on in
the wireless side, you cannot ping any other wireless connection, and
I'm unsure what the behavior is for wired to wireless in that case.

(I HATE AP isolation personally, but it exists to virus proof public
wireless lans)

Ping me on #bismark if you need further aid.