What a successful launch looks like

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 10:29:36 EDT 2011

I really enjoyed regaling you all with disaster stories from the space
program, during our time together this week.

There's plenty more tales where that came from - the early atlas attempts,
multiple moon and mars probes, & two shuttle disasters, all come to mind...
but that shouldn't scare you, in fact, blowing rockets up is kind of fun, in
it's own weird way, at least, when nobody dies.

No matter what you want to do in life, you have to try. If you don't
succeed, you usually learn something important. [1]

This is the best book I know of about the principles I tried to teach this
week. It's by Chris Kraft, who built the space program up from nothing until
we got all the way to the Moon. He was the sole flight controller for many
of the early spaceflights, until he managed to train a few adequate
replacements, to spell him, as missions got longer and more complex.

http://www.amazon.com/Flight-My-Life-Mission-Control/dp/B000EXYZR2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310825685&sr=8-1

And this is the best book I'm aware of, of the early days of ARPAnet, as the
very concept of networking, was invented.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Where_Wizards_Stay_Up_Late.html?id=RLKxSvCBQZcC

Thank you all very much for attending the bootcamp, I deeply appreciated
both the chance to pass on what I know, and to get your help in getting some
new packages put together. I hope that you can use the knowlege you've
obtained to do cool stuff, write valuable papers, and help fix the Internet.
I know I dumped a lot of new and hard to remember stuff on you, so to help
out in the future, I'm generally available on irc, in the #bufferbloat
channel, and try to respond to emails within 24 hours.

Please forgive me if I don't get back to you right away. I'm a little buried
with bugs.

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/uberwrt/issues

So....

This is what a successful launch looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ci9xIgNZM

This is the falcon 9, which after many years of development, and setbacks,
has now made two 100% successful flights. It will one day, carry more
payload and people to orbit, and beyond, than the shuttle ever could.

And despite all the pain the falcon 1's first 3 launches cost me personally,
I'm fiercely proud that I had a tiny piece of the effort that went into that
ultimate success.

While the USA will be out of the manned spaceflight business next week, I
have confidence that we'll soon be back in it, with rockets like the Falcon
9, and that you all will one day see a man (and/or woman!) walk on an
asteroid, and on Mars.

As for Cerowrt...

On my third attempt, this afternoon, I'll get the first release candidate
out the door. No promises as to when, there's still a lot of stuff to work
through on my checklist. Thank you ALL for helping me find a bug that has
plagued this code for nearly 3 months, that was just impossible to see,
without simulating the real internet in class.

I plan two more releases before the final due in mid august, all I frankly
care about in this release is that no kittens are eaten by all the new
stuff.

I've given you all credits in the code. Thank you again.

Ad Astera per Aspera!

http://the-edge.blogspot.com

1: http://www.taht.net/uncle_bills_helicopter.html