Further reducing the noise level

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 12:36:45 EDT 2011

I've created a new item on the roadmap for bismark 'napoli' and assigned a
tenative release date of mid-febuary, next year.

Programmers: PLEASE REVIEW YOUR BUGS *TODAY*, prioritize them, and move what
can be moved to the appropriate portion of the roadmap(s).

I note that there are all sorts of things left over from the previous
deadlines that I would like to see move to the right projects and deadlines,
so we can get all that dead wood and milestones out of the way.

Managers: Would the managers of your projects move everything that's still
important and yet unfinished in the older roadmaps forward, please, to
appropriate deadlines.

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/uberwrt/roadmap

Lastly, many more recent bugs are uncatagorized and unprioritized, and if
there are any more priority 1 and 2 bugs that I need to know about please
assign them to me. ASAP.

I note: It is also useful to review the closed bugs, not only just to make
sure there are no regressions lurking - but to feel emotionally better about
how far we've come already. We are, believe it or not, in the home stretch.

Normally I would call a bug review meeting for wednesday, 10AM, and am
willing to do so if you guys need it,

... but it helps to have all this crufty old stuff out of the way first, so
we can just focus on what is important to fix before the next smoketest,
which I hope to start, wednesday night,

If you can do all the above, before we attempt another smoktest, there will
not need to be a need for that meeting, this week. There should definately,
be a meeting next week.

Lastly, I would also like the managers to add an item on the roadmap for
getting the web site and database backend (networkdashboard) projects
straightened out somewhat, perhaps by the november timeframe.

The city-based codename I've been using mentally for the backend stuff has
been the city of Dite, and I will leave that to the Italians in this crowd
to explain. Please pick a better name. :)

If you are feeling really ambitious...  a codename on the roadmap for what
can be done by september of next year, would also be good.

Those with manager perms on the wiki can create their own codenames on the
roadmap, without my further involvement. I can think of a few others that
would help, notably whatever deadlines you need to have to have papers ready
for upcoming conferences.

I'm off to fight some truly major fires besides yours, I will not be paying
attention to email the rest of the day, but will check in tonight, via
watching this url:

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/uberwrt/activity

You might find it helpful to use that, to get insight as to other peoples's
activities, to periodically click on that one, as well.

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 1:21 AM, Walter de Donato
<walter.dedonato at unina.it>wrote:

> Napoli sounds good to me ;)
>
> -Walter
> Il giorno 19/lug/2011 00.39, "Nick Feamster" <feamster at cc.gatech.edu> ha
> scritto:
>
> > Sounds good to me.
> >
> > By the way, MLab is going to post on their blog about Bismark, possibly
> tomorrow. I've cleaned up the wiki a bit to prepare for this possibility.
> >
> > -Nick
> >
> > On Jul 18, 2011, at 6:02 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
> >

> >> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Srikanth Sundaresan <
> srikanth at gatech.edu> wrote:
> >> Napoli? :)
> >>

> >> I think that would be fair, given this one's codename is 'atlanta', but
> I don't get a vote. Nick, Walter?

> important

> >> --
> >> Dave Täht