Dropwatch

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 16:16:13 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Justin McCann <jneilm at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hadn't seen this mentioned here, so maybe I'm not the only one who
> didn't know about it....

I had just got to where net_drop_monitor is configured in the
debloat-testing kernel,
and I think I had got it into cerowrt last week (but need to check)...

> I just stumbled across Neil Horman's dropwatch [1], which uses Netlink
> to report which parts of the kernel are dropping packets. It looks
> like the patches made it into the kernel in 2009 [2], and the utility
> is in RHEL 5.6 [3], maybe earlier. The version I tried just reports
> the kernel addresses and doesn't look up the function names directly.

And was casting about for a pre-existing tool to use that
functionality because writing netlink code is a hairy exercise....

seeing what is dropped and why would be very good, at this point.
Thanks for spotting this. It didn't compile on the first try, but
perhaps with some fiddling....

> Enjoy,
>    Justin
>

> [1] https://fedorahosted.org/dropwatch/