New release of netperf-wrapper -- v0.6.1

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Mon Nov 25 18:47:46 EST 2013

Hi everyone

I've finally gotten around to releasing a new version of the
netperf-wrapper testing tool, tagged as v0.6.1. It's about six months
worth of bugfixes (which is not that many, really), as well as a few
changes in functionality. And a man page!

The main thing that's changed functionality-wise is that it now tries to
be a bit smarter about the non-option arguments passed to it, by trying
to figure out whether it's a data file, test name or hostname that is
called. This means it is no longer necessary to do things like
`netperf-wrapper -H <host> rrul` or `netperf-wrapper -i
datafile.json.gz` -- these can now be replaced with `netperf-wrapper
<host> rrul` and `netperf-wrapper datafile.json.gz` respectively. This
also means that a directory full of data files can now be plotted on the
same CDF by doing something like `netperf-wrapper -p icmp_cdf *.json.gz`
which should make scripting a bit easier.

This is also explained in the shiny new man page, which also has some
more info on the options and data file format. Also, look in the CHANGES
file for a more detailed changelog, probably including stuff I forgot to
mention here.

The package is as usual available from pypi and can be installed through
easy_install or the pip tool. Also, I have set up a repository on the
open build service at https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:tohojo:netperf-wrapper
which includes packages for Arch Linux, Debian 6 and 7 and Ubuntu
versions 12.04 through 13.10. This includes both netperf-wrapper and a
version of netperf 2.6 compiled with --enable-demo. To enable the
repositories for your Debian version add something like:

deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/tohojo:/netperf-wrapper/Debian_6.0/ /

to your /etc/apt/sources.list -- replacing the last Debian_6.0 with the
relevant repository (see the list here:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/repositories/home:tohojo:netperf-wrapper).
To make apt-get stop complaining about a missing key file, issue `

wget -O - https://build.opensuse.org/project/repositories/home:tohojo:netperf-wrapper/Debian_6.0/Release.key \
    | sudo apt-key add -

again replacing Debian_6.0 with the relevant repository.

If someone with RPM packaging skills is willing to help out with a .spec
file, I will enable building for RPM-based distros as well.

Oh, and as always, the source is available on github:
https://github.com/tohojo/netperf-wrapper -- please report any issues to
the bug tracker there.

Cheers,
-Toke