One-way delay measurement for netperf-wrapper

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Thu Nov 28 13:51:41 EST 2013

So I've been thinking about adding one-way delay measurement to
netperf-wrapper, but thought I'd solicit some input on how best to do
that.

The obvious way would be to parse owamp[1] output, but since
that relies on clock synchronisation (and is another dependency),
perhaps it might be worth looking at other approaches.

The people at LINCS seem to have had some success with passive
measurements of induced queueing delay based on TCP timestamps[2];
would adding something like that to (e.g.) netperf be worthwhile? And is
it possible (as in, is there an API to get to the timestamp values) for
TCP? Other ideas?

-Toke

[1] http://www.infres.enst.fr/~drossi/index.php?n=Dataset.BufferbloatMethodology

[2] http://www.enst.fr/~drossi/dataset/bufferbloat-methodology