[Bloat] queuebloat

Richard Scheffenegger rscheff at gmx.at
Sat Apr 23 03:55:24 EDT 2011

Hi Bob,

I agree; nevertheless, there are still ways to improve the timeliness of
loss recovery [over what is standardized in IETF] and reduce the dependency
on RTO for TCP. Obviously other transport protocols could also use some of
the same ideas.

For example, see Linux - lost retransmission detection, which is relevant
when you run into burst loss scenarios, is only available there, but not
specified anywhere. Or the recent addition to rfc3751-bis to improve SACK
loss recovery at end-of-stream. Or some ideas (partially implemented in
Linux already) to use synergistic information available to address spurious
retransmissions or early lost retransmission recovery...

Thus loss is IMHO less of an issue - if all possible indications are used to
deal with them in a timely (RTT) manner - than increasing RTT needlessly to
a few times the base RTT. Of course, a decent AQM and ECN marking scheme
would improve things even further, no question about that!

Best regards,
   Richard