[Bloat] Progress with latency-under-load tool

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 07:26:59 EDT 2011

Unfortunately that patch will not work - it completely breaks part of the on-wire protocol. It is much better to simply convert the final results for an auxiliary display.

At the moment I am working to prove that high smoothness and responsiveness can actually be measured, which requires first setting up a network which can genuinely achieve it. I was surprised to find that pure Ethernet was not by default sufficient, though it is easily explainable.

I should also point out that I have very strong reasons for providing the measurements in non-traditional units by default. I'm measuring characteristics as they matter to applications and users, who measure things in bytes and frames per second, not bits and milliseconds. It is also much easier to get nontechnical people (who tend to be in charge of budgets) to respond to bigger-is-better numbers.

The key to knowledge is not to rely on others to teach you it.