[Bloat] Goodput fraction w/ AQM vs bufferbloat

Constantine Dovrolis dovrolis at cc.gatech.edu
Sat May 7 23:04:31 EDT 2011

Hi, I suggest you look at the following paper for a more
general version of this formula (equation 3), which includes the
effect of limited capacity and/or limited receive-window:
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/fac/Constantinos.Dovrolis/Papers/f235-he.pdf

The paper also discusses common mistakes when this formula is used
to predict the throughput of a TCP connection - the basic
idea is that we cannot use the loss rate *before* the start
of a TCP connection to predict what its throughput will be.
A large TCP connection that is not limited by its receive-window
can of course cause an increase in the loss rate of the path
that it traverses (see sections 3.2 - 3.4)

regards
Constantine