[Bloat] Goodput fraction w/ AQM vs bufferbloat

Richard Scheffenegger rscheff at gmx.at
Sun May 8 09:00:32 EDT 2011

Note that this will only give you a lower bound; the true losses that were
addressed by the sender (ie. RTO retransmissions that got lost again) can by
principle not be discovered by a receiver side trace, only a (reliable)
sender side trace will allow that.

To the second point: Only for simple Reno/NewReno there exists a closed
formular for estimating throughput based on random, non-markow distributed
losses; and more modern congestion control / loss recovery scheme will
permit (more or less slightly) higher thoughput, thus the formulas (ie. RFC
3448 states the one for Reno) will only serve as a (good) lower bound
estimate.

Again, increasing throughput at the cost of goodput is a bad proposition, if
you get charged by traffic volume (because what you really want is data
delivered to the receiver, not dumped into the network for no good reason).

Regards,
   Richard