[Bloat] Burst Loss

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri May 13 10:54:26 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Rick Jones <rick.jones2 at hp.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 23:00 -0600, Kevin Gross wrote:
> > One of the principal reasons jumbo frames have not been standardized
> > is due to latency concerns. I assume this group can appreciate the
> > IEEE holding ground on this.
>
> Thusfar at least, bloaters are fighting to eliminate 10s of milliseconds
> of queuing delay.  I don't think this list is worrying about the tens of
> microseconds difference between the transmission time of a 9000 byte
> frame at 1 GbE vs a 1500 byte frame, or the single digit microseconds
> difference at 10 GbE.

Heh.  With the first iteration of the bismark project I'm trying to get to
where I have less than 30ms latency under load and have far larger problems
to worry about than jumbo frames. I'll be lucky to manage 1/10th that
(300ms) at this point.

Not, incidentally that I mind the idea of jumbo frames. It seems silly to be
saddled with default frame sizes that made sense in the 70s, and in an age
where we will be seeing ever more packet encapsulation, reducing the header
size as a ratio to data size strikes me as a very worthy goal.

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
http://the-edge.blogspot.com