[Bloat] Jumbo frames and LAN buffers (was: RE: Burst Loss)

Kevin Gross kevin.gross at avanw.com
Fri May 13 16:03:46 EDT 2011

Do we think that bufferbloat is just a WAN problem? I work on live media
applications for LANs and campus networks. I'm seeing what I think could be
characterized as bufferbloat in LAN equipment. The timescales on 1 Gb
Ethernet are orders of magnitude shorter and the performance problems caused
are in many cases a bit different but root cause and potential solutions
are, I'm hoping, very similar.

Keeping the frame byte size small while the frame time has shrunk maintains
the overhead at the same level. Again, this has been a conscious decision
not a stubborn relic. Ethernet improvements have increased bandwidth by
orders of magnitude. Do we really need to increase it by a couple percentage
points more by reducing overhead for large payloads?

The cost of that improved marginal bandwidth efficiency is a 6x increase in
latency. Many applications would not notice an increase from 12 us to 72 us
for a Gigabit switch hop. But on a large network it adds up, some
applications are absolutely that sensitive (transaction processing, cluster
computing, SANs) and (I thought I'd be preaching to the choir here) there's
no way to ever recover the lost performance.

Kevin Gross