[Bloat] Jumbo frames and LAN buffers

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Mon May 16 07:23:36 EDT 2011

On 05/16/2011 05:49 AM, Fred Baker wrote:
> On May 16, 2011, at 9:51 AM, Richard Scheffenegger wrote:
>
>> Second, you wouldn't want to deploy basic 802.3x to any network consisting of more than a single switch.
> actually, it's pretty common practice. Three layers, even. People build backbones, and then ring them with workgroup switches, and then put small switches on their desks.

Not necessarily out of knowledge or desire (since it isn't usually
controllable in the small switches you buy for home).  It can cause
trouble even in small environments as your house.

http://virtualthreads.blogspot.com/2006/02/beware-ethernet-flow-control.html

I know I'm at least three consumer switches deep, and it's not by choice.
                     - Jim