[Bloat] Jumbo frames and LAN buffers

Kevin Gross kevin.gross at avanw.com
Mon May 16 09:15:51 EDT 2011

All the stand-alone switches I've looked at recently either do not support
802.3x or support it in the (desireable) manner described in the last
paragraph of the linked blog post. I don't believe Ethernet flow control is
a factor in current LANs. I'd be interested to know the specifics if anyone
sees it differently.

My understanding is that 802.1au, "lossless Ethernet", was designed
primarily to allow Fibre Channel to be carried over 10 GbE so that SAN and
LAN can share a common infrastructure in datacenters. I don't believe anyone
intends for it to be enabled for traffic classes carrying TCP.

Kevin Gross