[Bloat] Jumbo frames and LAN buffers

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Mon May 16 09:22:40 EDT 2011

On 05/16/2011 09:15 AM, Kevin Gross wrote:
> All the stand-alone switches I've looked at recently either do not support
> 802.3x or support it in the (desireable) manner described in the last
> paragraph of the linked blog post. I don't believe Ethernet flow control is
> a factor in current LANs. I'd be interested to know the specifics if anyone
> sees it differently.

Heh.  Plug wireshark into current off the shelf cheap consumer switches
intended for the home.  You won't like what you see.  And you have no
way to manage them.  I was quite surprised last fall when doing my home
experiments to see 802.3 frames; I had been blissfully unaware of its
existence, and had to go read up on it as a result.

I don't think any of the enterprise switches are so brain damaged.  So i
suspect it's mostly lurking to cause trouble in home and small office
environments, exactly where no-one will know what's going on.
                         - Jim