[Bloat] Applying RED93 in south africa

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat May 21 15:29:23 EDT 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 21 May, 2011, at 5:27 pm, Dave Taht wrote:
>
> > Experience the pain of the Internet on another continent! (note that the
> gw is up on ipv6 as well)
>
> Well, it's not very fast in terms of throughput, but the latency seems to
> be about as good as I get normally.

It's simulating conditions in South Africa, with settings to 840 down/380
up.

>  But perhaps that's because I'm starting from Northern Europe and so I'm
> already used to intercontinental traffic due to the prevalence of US-based
> servers.
>
> I do see occasional brief stalls during the download, but these are
> substantially less intrusive than what I get on my 3G modem.  They suggest
> that packets are being dropped at reasonably regular intervals, but the TCP
> is recovering quickly.  I can't tell whether RED is triggering (without ECN)
> or whether these are tail-drops on a fairly short queue.
>
> Incidentally my download is coming across IPv6, so it may be triggering the
> related Linux bug.

Which one? on my side all known bugs are fixed. :)

> This shouldn't totally disable the negotiation though, so more likely
> there's a broken router in the way.

And it is highly likely you are interacting with slightly different layer of
QoS if you are using IPv6.

Could you take a tcpdump  capture and stick it somewhere? Or let me know
when you will be running a test and I'll capture traces from here? I did see
the wan light flicker madly a few minutes ago....

How be your latency under load too?

 - Jonathan

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608