[Bloat] Applying RED93 in south africa

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Sat May 21 15:11:32 EDT 2011

On 21 May, 2011, at 5:27 pm, Dave Taht wrote:

> Experience the pain of the Internet on another continent! (note that the gw is up on ipv6 as well)

Well, it's not very fast in terms of throughput, but the latency seems to be about as good as I get normally.  But perhaps that's because I'm starting from Northern Europe and so I'm already used to intercontinental traffic due to the prevalence of US-based servers.

I do see occasional brief stalls during the download, but these are substantially less intrusive than what I get on my 3G modem.  They suggest that packets are being dropped at reasonably regular intervals, but the TCP is recovering quickly.  I can't tell whether RED is triggering (without ECN) or whether these are tail-drops on a fairly short queue.

Incidentally my download is coming across IPv6, so it may be triggering the related Linux bug.  This shouldn't totally disable the negotiation though, so more likely there's a broken router in the way.

 - Jonathan