[Bloat] First-time install on brand new WNDR3700v2 not working

Shane Turner turner at chebucto.ns.ca
Sat Nov 5 00:23:01 EDT 2011

I successfully flashed my wndr3700v2 with rc7-smoketest9. Used a Windows 7 laptop with the optional tftp client. I used the jffs2-factory.img file renamed to simply jffs2.img.

The router only took about 30 seconds until it was in a state to accept the image, based on the lights and 2 seconds (literally) to tftp the flash over.

I forgot to time how long until it rebooted.

I'll better document it tomorrow.

I haven't hooked up the router to anything other than the laptop used to flash it. No sanity checks done. I haven't considered whether to replace my wrt160n or tie it in some other way. I'm open to suggestions.

If I want to best reproduce my procedure, are there any issues I should be aware of as far as reapplying the factory firmware, vs flashing over the installed cerowrt firmware?

Shane

Sent from my iPod

On 2011-11-03, at 8:54 AM, Shane Turner <turner at chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

> I have a neglected WNDR3700v2 at home, still in the box, waiting to be flashed and tested with. Which firmware did you choose in the end?
>
> http://huchra.bufferbloat.net/~cero1/rc7-smoketests/rc7-smoketest8/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wndr3700v2-jffs2-factory.img
> or
> http://huchra.bufferbloat.net/~cero1/rc7-smoketests/rc7-smoketest8/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wndr3700v2-squashfs-factory.img
>
> In what way did you deviate from the procedure at http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Cerowrt_flashing_instructions to get it working? Did you have to rename the file? Did you have to flash to OpenWRT first?
>
> Shane
>
> On November-03-11 12:30:05 AM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Maxim Kharlamov wrote:
>>
>>> What I ended up doing is:
>>> 1. did 30-30-30 reset (described, for instance, here:
>>> http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/18623/How-to-Hard-Reset-Your-NETGEAR-WNR3500L/)
>>> 2. flashed OpenWRT using netgear web gui (it shows a warning but allows to
>>> continue)
>>> 3. another 30-30-30
>>> 4. flashed CeroWRT from OpenWRT gui